Custom Search

Saturday, March 2, 2013

The Feeling of Health

The age old parental saying "Eat your veggies" was annoying as a child, but special as an adult.  As a kid I, like most, loved sugar sweets and everything 'not healthy'.  Now as an adult I find that I love vegetables - why the change?  It's curious to think that the psychology of a young child is to do the opposite of what we're told - testing how far we can push the envelope.

 My husband and I are friends with a couple who have 4 kids and have taught them (I'm not sure how) to enjoy their vegetables.  We will go over there for dinner and the 5 year old is eating a sweet red pepper like I used to eat brownies, the 3 year old is chomping down baby carrots and offering them to me!  I am always in love and astounding by these children! 

I started really buckling down my diet a year ago realzing I'm getting older and my body is changing or slowing down.  I don't metabolize food as fast as I used to, I have a desk job and not as active as I used to be and well, I have more aches and pains then I used to.  Before you say stop it - I know I'm not that old - but it's important that each of us young and old put the focus back on personal health.  Since the re-introduction of raw vegetables into my diet, I feel more vitalized, more fresh, more weightless and less "gross" full.  You know that "gross" full feeling you get from a carb heavy and/or starch heavy meal, that also goes hand in hand with over eating?  A healthy diet takes away that gross bloating feeling - AMAZING!

I love Carrots - raw carrots. I love the crunch, I love the sweet taste, I love the way they enhance my skin color and I love that I can eat a bunch of them and not feel sick!
I love Celery - with almond butter.  Again, I love that crunch!  I love the water that comes out, and to top it off with the sweet bold taste almond butter - a brilliant snack.  Celery is an amazing food that keeps you feeling light weight and not gross!
I love Sweet Potatoes - no marshmallows.  Sweet potatoes are truly truly radical!  They can be a savory side dish, a delightful fry with your carb friendly burger, or a sweet dessert!  The sweet potato is a root vegetable that contains our favorite vitamins and minerals and carries amazing protein benefits.  One important thing about Sweet Potatoes is they are high in Vitamin A which plays a role in a variety of functions throughout the body, such as; Vision, Gene transcription, Immune function, Embryonic development and reproduction, Bone metabolism, Haematopoiesis, Skin & cellular health and Antioxidant activity!!!
I love Spinach & Kale - Put it all together in a salad with a light vinaigrette..ooooo
I love raw broccoli & raw cauliflower - amazing side dishes.  Did you know you can make Mashed Cauliflower "potatoes" to avoid eating the starchy potato? Woah!
I think I could do on and on.

The Feeling of Health and a Healthy Lifestyle is something that you must experience yourself to believe.  No one can talk you into loving Kale or enjoying mashed cauliflower, you must try it out for yourself!  But believe me:  You will notice a change in your mood (in a good way), you will feel like you have more energy, you will feel the need to spread your news and share the glories of a healthy diet.  I of course will always recommend eating healthy in conjunction with a consistent workout routine - Fink Fitness!

Just and FYI
The USDA Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends consuming 3 to 5 servings of vegetables daily.




No comments:

Post a Comment