Custom Search

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

First Time Rock Climbing!


Well, for the first time I did it - I went indoor rock climbing!  I have always wanted to try out rock climbing because, well, let’s face it – I love trying new things and I love challenges.  For Christmas my husband had purchased a pair of passes to go rock climbing at Hanger 18 in Signal Hill (right by the Long Beach Airport) and we finally got around to going (in April).  We started the morning off with a visit to our CPA for 2012 taxes and to our dismay, we owe :(.  This was upsetting to us, but we had plans to have fun the rest of the day and rock climbing was the most perfect escape.


We arrived just in time to take the group class at no extra cost.  With 4 other couples we quickly learned how put our harnesses on, tie a figure 8 knot, feed the rope toggle and the proper use of climbing dialog “Climbing”  “Climb on”.  After the first walk through of the safety we were told to “put your lives in the hands of someone who just learned to rock climb” – nerves!  My husband started up the wall first and I was the anchor making sure there wasn’t slack on the rope, then it was my turn to climb.  I barely made it ¾ of the way up the wall on the first try, but the second shot, I made it all the way to the top.


We were the first ones to successfully rock climb safely and the instructors then set us free into the gym!  We came to the conclusion after roping in to every wall, that it was tiring and well, those harness aren’t that comfortable to begin with.  So, we then tried Bouldering – no rope, just you, the wall and the mat below you to fall on.  I had a blast bouldering – my inner monkey came out!  As I took on angled walls I felt strong and before I realized it, I was 15 feet off the air!  Climbing down seemed to be too much of a challenge, so I did what anyone else would do – I dropped off the wall and landed (like a super hero I might add) on the padding below.

We climbed and climbed for a couple hours and we decided to quit when it became harder and harder to climb the walls.  All in all it was a good day, a great experience and yes – I will do it again!

This is me about 20 feet in the air climbing a crooked wall with NO rope!

Even at an awkward angle, I must smile for the camera

Mr Foxtrot and Me!

It was really hard to reach at this angle

Aren't we cute?



A Little Blown Out, but That's alright!  Look how high I'm getting!

Mr. Foxtrot in is "Mission Impossible" I'm Awesome Pose




Cheers to Health, Fitness, Fun & Strength!








No comments:

Post a Comment